Cream of Potato Soup
Castel Grisch Winery provided this recipe during the Seneca Lake Wine Trail's 2004 Deck the Halls event. Pairing choice was their Baco Noir, a dry medium bodied red wine.
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small leek, trimmed, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 small celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 thick slices double-smoked bacon, halved crosswise
- 1 tsp. dried leaf marjoram, crumbled
- 1 tsp. dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 qt. chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. chives, freshly snipped, for garnish
- Melt butter in large saucepan over moderate heat.
- Add the onions, leeks, celery, bacon, marjoram, thyme and nutmeg and stir-fry about 2 minutes (until glazed). Reduce heat to low, cover and steam 15 minutes, until onions are very limp.
- Remove and discard the bacon. Raise heat to moderate, add potatoes and broth, bring to a simmer, uncovered, and then adjust heat so the broth bubbles gently. Cover and simmer 40 minutes until potatoes are mushy.
- Remove pan from heat and cool soup, still covered, for 15 minutes.
- Purée soup mixture in two batches by blending in a food processor at high speed for 1 minute.
- Return soup to pan, mix in salt and pepper; taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Heat soup, uncovered, to serving temperature; ladle into bowls and garnish with chives.
Calories per serving: 163.08 kcal
Fat per serving: 7.25 g
Saturated fat per serving: 3.19 g
Carbs per serving: 19.19 g
Protein per serving: 5.67 g
Fiber per serving: 2.18 g
Sugar per serving: 4.38 g
Sodium per serving: 518.68 mg
Trans fat per serving: 0.13 g
Cholesterol per serving: 15.85 mg
Copyright Seneca Lake Wine Trail